Skip to main content

From Existing Skills to Freelancing: My Real Journey and Practical Lessons

From Existing Skills to Freelancing: My Real Journey and Practical Lessons By Mayura Sri Many people want to earn online, but the first question is usually the hardest: Which path is actually suitable for me? The internet offers thousands of suggestions, including freelancing, content creation, stock photography, microtasks, online courses and more. However, choosing a path only because it looks profitable can lead to wasted time, unnecessary expenses and disappointment. My own journey did not begin with expensive equipment, a professional studio or a guaranteed income plan. It began around 2020 with a basic smartphone, a wired earphone microphone and a willingness to keep learning. Over time, I discovered that the most realistic path was not to chase every new earning method. It was to identify the skills I already had, improve them and use the same skill in several practical ways. This article explains what worked for me, the mistakes I made and what I would recom...

How I Started Earning from Stock Photography: My Real Journey, Mistakes and Money Lessons

By Mayura, founder of FreelanceMoneyKit

My first stock photography sale was not made with an expensive camera. It was a photograph of a fish market captured with a Samsung J7, and it earned me $0.50 on Shutterstock. Financially, fifty cents was a very small result. Personally, it was proof that an idea created in a rural part of Sri Lanka could reach a buyer somewhere beyond my own surroundings.

That sale did not arrive quickly. I waited about six months for it, and it took roughly a year before I made my first withdrawal. This is why I do not present stock photography as a shortcut to easy money. My experience has been a slow process of learning, creating, facing rejection, improving and managing income that can change from month to month.

In this article, I want to share that experience honestly: how my interest began, why I chose this path, what worked, what failed and why financial planning matters just as much as photography skills.

My Interest in Photography Began Before I Knew About Stock Websites

I grew up in a rural area of the Ratnapura District in Sri Lanka's Sabaragamuwa Province. When I was young, I enjoyed photographing flowers, trees and ordinary objects around me. I still remember borrowing my sibling's phone to photograph flowers in our home garden. When I showed one of those photographs to my father, he said he would buy me a camera if I passed an exam. That moment encouraged my interest, even though I did not yet know that photographs could become digital products.

After completing my Advanced Level examination, I began researching ways to earn through photography. Conventional photography businesses, such as wedding photography, did not match the kind of work I wanted to build. I was more interested in turning my own ideas into useful visual content and making that content available to people around the world.

I first heard about stock photography through YouTube. I did not immediately accept every claim I saw. I searched Google, compared information and tried to understand how contributor platforms worked. In December 2020, I opened my first contributor account and began testing the opportunity for myself.

Starting from Rural Sri Lanka with Limited Equipment

Online earning was not widely understood in the community around me. People close to me asked whether it would really work and suggested that I find a normal job. Their concern was understandable: I was following a path with no guaranteed salary, no local mentor and no quick evidence of success.

At times, the pressure was difficult enough that I stayed away from home with friends or in boarding places. But the lack of immediate support also taught me to take responsibility for my choices. I knew English would be important for researching platforms, writing metadata and communicating online. To pay for an English course, I sold agricultural products available to me, including pepper, goraka and bananas. Income from similar small efforts also helped me obtain an ordinary computer.

My first camera was simply the device I already had: a Samsung J7 phone. I edited images naturally with Lightroom and Snapseed, making careful adjustments rather than trying to hide technical problems with extreme saturation or effects. Today I use tools such as Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator, as well as an iPhone 17 Pro Max and a Sony A7 III with a 50mm lens. Better equipment has expanded what I can create, but it was not what gave me permission to begin.

An expensive camera can improve technical possibilities, but creativity, persistence and the ability to use what you already have are what allow you to start.

Six Months to My First Sale and About a Year to My First Withdrawal

During the first months, I uploaded work without knowing when—or whether—it would sell. My first sale eventually came from the fish-market photograph taken with my Samsung J7. The $0.50 earning was small, but it changed the question in my mind from “Can this work?” to “How can I improve it?”

Mayura’s first Shutterstock stock photography sale captured with a Samsung J7


It still took about a year to reach my first withdrawal. When that happened, I felt proud because I had produced a real result through a path many people had doubted. As a Buddhist, I visited a temple and offered a small part of that money in gratitude. It was not a celebration of becoming rich. It was a way of recognizing the patience required to reach that first milestone.

New contributors should understand the difference between a sale and a dependable income. One download proves that a buyer found value in one asset. It does not guarantee that the same number of sales will happen next week or next month. A portfolio needs time, useful content and continued maintenance.

How My Portfolio and Skills Developed

I began with photographs and later expanded into video clips, vector artwork and illustrations. After obtaining a computer, Adobe Illustrator allowed me to turn design ideas into stock vectors. I have worked with Shutterstock Contributor, Adobe Stock Contributor and Dreamstime.

At the time of writing, my accounts contain more than 1,400 portfolio items on Shutterstock, more than 1,000 on Adobe Stock and more than 500 on Dreamstime. Some work may appear on more than one platform, so these figures describe the size of the accounts rather than 2,900 completely different creations.

Mayura’s stock photography portfolios on Shutterstock


Nature images, leaf backgrounds, food and drink content, and vectors made for celebration days have produced more consistent results for me. One vector based on a sustainability concept earned more than $16 from a single sale—an important reminder that the value of individual licences can vary. On the other hand, I initially expected flower photographs to sell well simply because they looked beautiful to me. Many did not perform as I expected.

Mayura’s sustainability vector that earned more than 16 dollars from one stock licence


That difference taught me a central stock-photography lesson: a visually pleasing image is not automatically a commercially useful image. Buyers often need room for text, a clear concept, a specific subject, a practical orientation or an image that solves a communication problem.

My Stock Content Workflow Today

1. Research demand without copying

I search stock marketplaces and watch experienced contributors on YouTube to understand subjects, visual styles and possible use cases. This is research—not permission to reproduce another creator's image. I ask what I can make with my location, skills, equipment and point of view.

2. Plan the buyer's possible use

Before or after creating an image, I consider where it could legitimately be used: an article, advertisement, presentation, social post, educational resource or background. This helps me make decisions about composition, orientation and copy space.

3. Create and edit for quality

I check focus, noise, exposure, distracting elements and overall usefulness. I once submitted many vertical, story-sized phone images. Although some were accepted, their limited versatility meant that demand was lower than I expected. That experience encouraged me to think more carefully about landscape and other buyer-friendly compositions rather than treating approval as the only measure of quality.

4. Write accurate titles and keywords

I use titles, descriptions and keywords to summarize the actual subject and concept. AI can help me organize wording or suggest metadata, but I review every suggestion and correct it to match my image and idea. AI is an assistant in this step; it is not the final decision-maker.

This review is important. Shutterstock's official description and keyword guidance says keywords should be detailed, precise and directly related to the individual image or video. Adobe Stock similarly advises contributors to correct automatically generated keywords and arrange the most important terms appropriately in its official keyword tutorial.

For example, I may research visible marks on a fruit or leaf, but I should not name a disease in the metadata unless it can be identified accurately and is genuinely represented. An irrelevant diagnosis could mislead a buyer. More keywords are not always better; accurate keywords are better.

5. Submit carefully and learn from review

I dedicate a separate day to preparing and submitting content when possible. Keeping creation and submission separate helps me reduce rushed metadata, release and file-selection errors. Platform requirements change, so I also check the current contributor help pages instead of relying entirely on old videos or posts.

Rejections Became Part of My Education

My first submission was accepted, but that did not mean everything afterwards would be approved. Over time, I received many rejections. Common reasons included the main subject being out of focus, visible noise, overly similar content and keyword problems.

A rejection can feel personal when you have spent hours creating something, but a useful response is to separate your identity from the file. I try to identify the technical or policy reason, decide whether the asset can be corrected and apply the lesson to the next shoot. Repeatedly uploading the same weak idea is not persistence; improving the next version is.

Legal preparation also matters. When I photographed my sister wearing a fashion outfit, I obtained her permission and used a model release. For commercial content, recognizable people can trigger release requirements. Contributors should check each marketplace's current rules; for example, Shutterstock explains its current requirements on its official model-release page. Consent, accurate records and respect for the person photographed should be part of the workflow, not an afterthought.

Stock Photography Is Scalable, but It Is Not Effortless Passive Income

A previously uploaded asset can sell while I am doing something else, which gives stock photography a passive-income characteristic. However, building that opportunity requires active work: research, production, editing, metadata, submission, releases, portfolio review and adaptation to changing demand.

It is also irregular income. A successful month can be followed by a quieter one. Seasonal vectors may sell around a particular event, while an evergreen nature background may sell at unexpected times. Platform review decisions, buyer demand, licence types and portfolio age can all affect results.

This is why I would not advise a beginner to treat an early sale as a replacement for a salary. Track the income for long enough to understand its range, and build decisions around conservative numbers rather than the best month.

The Financial Mistake I Made After I Started Earning

My early stock income helped with personal expenses, household costs, internet access and equipment. But I made a mistake common among creators: I spent money without a clear plan or enough control. Later, when an unexpected need appeared, I did not always have sufficient money available.

Earning online and managing online income are two separate skills. A creator can be talented, make sales and still feel financially unstable if every payment is treated as immediately spendable money.

Today, I believe every irregular payment should be given a job. That might include essential living costs, business expenses, tax or fee reserves, long-term savings and a buffer for low-income months. The exact percentages will differ for each person, but the decision should happen before casual spending.

A simple way to plan variable stock income

  1. Record the amount actually received after platform, payment and conversion costs.
  2. Compare several months instead of relying on the highest month.
  3. Identify essential personal and business expenses.
  4. Reserve money for predictable obligations that do not arrive monthly.
  5. Keep part of stronger months to support weaker months.
  6. Decide how much can safely be reinvested in equipment or software.

The free Irregular Income Budget Planner for Freelancers can help turn changing monthly income into a practical allocation. A stock contributor could enter income from photography, vectors, video and other freelance work together, then test a plan for essentials, savings and business expenses. It does not predict future sales, but it makes the money already earned easier to manage intentionally.

An emergency reserve is equally important when there is no employer-funded safety net. The Freelancer Emergency Fund Calculator helps estimate a target from essential monthly expenses and the number of months of protection needed. That target should be reviewed as costs and income stability change.

What I Would Recommend to a New Stock Contributor

  • Begin with what you have. A phone with adequate quality can teach composition, light, editing and metadata before you buy expensive equipment.
  • Learn platform rules from official sources. Advice from creators can be useful, but requirements for releases, intellectual property, editorial content and AI-generated work can change.
  • Create original work. Study the market to find unmet needs or improve your own planning; do not imitate another contributor's execution.
  • Think like a buyer. Ask what message the image communicates and where a designer, publisher or business could use it.
  • Inspect at full size. Check focus, noise, artefacts and unwanted logos before submission.
  • Use honest metadata. Describe only what is visible or genuinely represented. Review AI suggestions instead of pasting them blindly.
  • Protect consent and rights. Obtain appropriate releases and avoid content you do not have the right to license.
  • Expect rejection. Record recurring reasons and use them as a personal quality-control checklist.
  • Measure progress beyond one sale. Track accepted assets, portfolio diversity, earnings trends and improvements in production efficiency.
  • Plan the money. Do not let a good month automatically create a higher level of spending.

A Practical Pre-Submission Checklist

  • Is the main subject sharp and technically clean?
  • Does the file offer a clear subject, concept or use case?
  • Have I checked for noise, dust, artefacts, logos and protected material?
  • Is the composition useful in the intended orientation?
  • Is the title natural, specific and factually accurate?
  • Does every keyword relate to the actual content or a genuine concept?
  • Have I removed speculative or repetitive keywords?
  • Are all required model or property releases complete and attached?
  • Does this submission add useful variety rather than near-duplicates?
  • Have I checked the platform's latest requirements?

What This Journey Has Taught Me

My journey did not begin with professional equipment, strong English skills or people around me who fully understood online creative work. It began with curiosity, a Samsung J7, self-study and a willingness to wait. Selling pepper, goraka and bananas to fund learning may seem unrelated to stock photography, but those steps were part of the same journey. They helped me build the knowledge and tools I needed.

I still have much to learn. Stock marketplaces continue to change, and no contributor can guarantee future sales. What I can say from experience is that patience becomes more powerful when it is combined with deliberate improvement. Uploading without learning is not a strategy, and buying equipment without planning is not a business.

If you are beginning with a phone, do not be ashamed of starting small. Create the best work your current ability allows, learn why files are accepted or rejected and keep your personal finances separate from excitement about a good sale. The value of this work becomes clearer through experience—not through promises of instant passive income.

For me, stock photography has been more than a source of earnings. It has been a lesson in creative independence, patience and financial responsibility. The first $0.50 did not make me financially free, but it showed me that a small beginning could become a real body of work.


Content and financial disclaimer: This article describes Mayura's personal experience and is provided for general educational purposes. Earnings, acceptance rates and results vary by contributor, platform, location, portfolio and market demand. It is not a guarantee of income or professional financial, tax, legal or investment advice. Always review the latest official contributor requirements and consult an appropriately qualified professional for decisions specific to your circumstances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Existing Skills to Freelancing: My Real Journey and Practical Lessons

From Existing Skills to Freelancing: My Real Journey and Practical Lessons By Mayura Sri Many people want to earn online, but the first question is usually the hardest: Which path is actually suitable for me? The internet offers thousands of suggestions, including freelancing, content creation, stock photography, microtasks, online courses and more. However, choosing a path only because it looks profitable can lead to wasted time, unnecessary expenses and disappointment. My own journey did not begin with expensive equipment, a professional studio or a guaranteed income plan. It began around 2020 with a basic smartphone, a wired earphone microphone and a willingness to keep learning. Over time, I discovered that the most realistic path was not to chase every new earning method. It was to identify the skills I already had, improve them and use the same skill in several practical ways. This article explains what worked for me, the mistakes I made and what I would recom...

How to Calculate an Emergency Fund for Irregular Freelance Income

A strong freelance month can create the impression that your finances are secure. Then a major client pauses a project, an invoice arrives late, or essential equipment stops working. Your average income may still look healthy on paper, but the money available today tells a different story. This is why an emergency fund matters differently for a freelancer. A salaried employee usually plans around a known payday. A freelancer must prepare for both unexpected expenses and unexpected gaps in income . The goal is not to predict every possible crisis. It is to create enough financial breathing room to make sensible decisions when income becomes uncertain. The free Freelancer Emergency Fund Calculator from FreelanceMoneyKit helps you turn that general idea into a personal estimate. It compares 3, 6 and 9-month protection levels, shows how much you have already funded, calculates the remaining gap and estimates how long your target may take to reach. What is an emergency fund? An em...

Why Freelancers Need Financial Planning: Lessons from My Journey

By Mayura, founder of FreelanceMoneyKit My name is Mayura. I am a freelancer and content creator from Sri Lanka. My work has developed across graphic design, stock photography, YouTube and Facebook. In one part of my working life, I create and sell digital work as a freelancer. In another, I create content for online audiences. I did not choose this direction because freelancing looked easy. I chose it because I wanted to find out whether it was possible to build a successful life without placing my entire future inside a conventional 8-to-5 job. I valued personal freedom, control over my time and the ability to shape my own professional direction. However, experience taught me an important lesson: freedom without planning can quickly become financial pressure . Freelancing can offer independence, but it does not automatically create financial security. Patience, useful skills, adaptation and disciplined money management are what make that freedom sustainable. My journey began ...